Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hello, Everyone
I had the great opportunity to accompany our large group of W& J students from PWB to Merida, Mexico. Thank you Joe W. for making this happen, you did a wonderful job!  It was my first mission trip and I had absolutely no spanish speaking or reading skills.   (I do now)
First of all, let me say how very proud of and optimistic I am for our next generation of "care-givers."
Everyone put forth a great effort to give the best care they could manage and it was amazing to watch!
We had 8 Hispanic doctors, dentists, a massage therapist and a nurse to show us how to treat and manage the care for the people in the villages for 5 days.  They set a great example of how important their skills and knowledge were to the people of Mexico.  They also set an example of how to be happy and have fun doing the work they love.  I observed that with very little economically, the people in the countryside of Merida were very happy and loving and I came to realize that we as Americans have so much more but seem to find reasons to complain and be unhappy.  I feel that this was an important and valuable lesson or (gift) that I brought back with me from the trip and I will remember those patient faces waiting for treatment in the hot, hot, hot (did I mention how hot it was yet?) heat and never once complained and were extremely grateful for our care.
There were so many outstanding memories and I look forward to running into my students (friends) this year on campus and just laughing and sharing our funny and memorable events and experiences.
I hope you all have a good year and that you share your memories with us all.
"dios the bendiga" (God Bless You all!)
Donna Hunter, RN
PS: # Juan Carlos  # Piñata for Chris # morning devotions # 7 women in 1 bedroom with 1 bathroom :-/  #air mattresses  #long van rides   # hammocks # regalia # Marshall aka Jesus # whole fried fish for lunch  # harchata  # pink flamingos # habanero sauce to the eye # bicycle rides # "coconut shack" (yum) # sweet church ladies who cooked for us # trips to farmacia  # cenotés   # baby alligator? # UNO # exhausted and dehydrated, but grateful for the experience # life changing # ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment